Saturday, November 23, 2013

my brother...

I haven't really taken a chance to write about the current happenings with my brother. A little back story, he is a 2-time liver recipient. He had his first transplant about 13 years ago then his 2nd a little over a year later. Since then, he has been living a normal, healthy 37 year-old life.

Flash forward to Labor Day this year. He was admitted to the hospital with some liver pain and that's where the new story begins. He has been in and out of the hospital since that day. It seems there are a number of issues they found & fixed. He has been having a few infections that are really doing a number on him and a couple of abscesses on his liver that have since been taken care of. All things that compounded together make for one weak and sick man. He has lost weight and become a fraction of the man he was. I have seen him a couple of times and each time I was taken back by his physical appearance since it was so drastically different. I would leave in tears. It's not easy to see my brother, a non-stop kinda guy, stuck up in a hospital bed or on a couch.

His doctors became a bit more concerned with his condition in the beginning of November. Certain levels were low some were high... it's all things I don't understand to be honest. The idea of placing him on the transplant list came up again. Since then, he turned 38 and also has be added to the list & is currently the 10th patient in line for the University of Michigan list. All we can do is hope that this is the answer. That this will heal him and get him back to normal. It's a long road after a transplant and it's a rough recovery for him. In my mind, the ideal would be for the doctor's to heal him without the need for the surgery but I don't know if that is possible at this point. 





So for now, all that can be done is to wait. My heart is breaking for him though, he doesn't deserve this pain.


*Lu




No comments:

Post a Comment