So, after a trip to our local produce market, this is what our fridge now looks like:

Notice the truly "important" stuff on the top shelf. Beer (bud light select 55 of course... after all I am watching my figure, right?) Then cheese, God I love cheese. Water, because second to beer, it's pretty much a necessity! Last but not least, baking soda, a girls gotta keep all those damn veggies fresh somehow! Oh, what veggies you ask? Take a look at this:

I am still in awe of it. This is basically enough for Aaron and I to fast for 3 days! Holy Cow, we are going to need a bigger fridge if we continue with this! It is really beautiful though, the colors are the selection are pretty impressive for February. Most shocking purchase goes to beets... I have never tried, much less, purchased a beet in my whole life. Let's hope the fruit flavors overpower that one! I feel like this is one of those seek and find books:
- 3 red peppers
- 16 (yes, 16) cucumbers
- sparkling grape juice we bought for the girls for New Year's that we forgot we had. (Gotta look close for that one!)
- an assload *which is the technical measurement of Kale bunches* of Kale
- Mr & Mrs T's bloody Mary Mix... mmm, God... this isn't gonna be easy!
Anyway, here's breakfast:
apple, carrot and ginger. eventually I am going to come up with some fancy and totally creative name for each juice. Until then.. BORING!
Now they say you don't have to cut anything up or even remove seeds or skin. Just wash and shove it in... I am not really ok with that. I don't like the idea of the knoby dark brown piece on my carrot mixing with my Granny Smith.. so I chose to remove the grossness.
Here is the carrot.. look at that color!
sometimes... I would accidentally hit the cup. Unfortunately, I didn't know that carrot juice stained countertops. I forsee a lot of Mr Clean erasers in my future.
Here is the final product. In case you didn't notice, I used the blue {orange's complimentary color} straw so maybe it would trick my into believing this was going to taste good!
I am not a fan of pulpy orange juice or any juice for that matter. That is why I am very happy all this pulp stayed in the bin! The booklet says to save this and freeze it for use in recipes to add nutrients and flavor to breads or soups. I am not yet convinced apple, carrot & ginger would enhance my chicken noodle soup or chili, but who knows...
So final verdict, it's actually really good. It's nice and fresh and the apple seems to stand out more than the carrots, which is a plus. Who the hell wants to drink straight carrot juice!?!
On to my snack, the Mean Green
This damn juice made so much, I split it an drank it for my snack & lunch. It's exactly what the name says... green. Kale, cukes, apples, parsley and celery. This one is considered the go-to juice for the fast. It's pretty much the epidemy of green nutrients. The only thing I can really compare the taste to is the smell of fresh cut grass... follow me? It's not terrible but it does take some getting used to. The lemon helps neutralize the bitter kale but there is still the issue of the celery. I have never been a huge fan of celery unless it was bobbing in my bloody mary! for some reason, that just makes it all better.
The color again is amazing. I always wanted to do my kitchen in this color. Sherwin Williams should totally make a color called Mean Green, I'd buy it!

On to dinner, which looked a LOT like lunch. It was a kale, clementine, cucumber and spinach juice. It is better than it sounds because there is a little kick of citrus flavor left in the back of your throat & on your tongue. It's still the same color & the smell is a little bit to get past so I have tried to hold my breath!
"Dessert", which I can't help but look forward to because of the sweetness, is a sweet potato, red pepper, beet, carrot, and orange mix. Am I really looking forward to that?! Wow. Aaron came home from work talking about a big "juicy" steak... would that be ok on our juice fast? I have to keep telling him (more myself), NO!
UPDATE: dessert was yummy. It was really sweet, especially compared to the bitter green stuff from earlier. It had a nice red pepper taste and mixed with the apples it was really crisp!
Today is going to be the only day I document all the juices we try... makes for some pretty bland reading! As far as the way I am feeling, allow me to elaborate. I kinda feel like I can do this. I know that it has only been 1/2 a day and all but I think that we will make it through. I have noticed a bit of hunger pangs in my stomach (as I type I am literally scaring Dudley with the growling my stomach is doing!) but nothing I can't take my mind off of with some household projects. As far as any headaches or tiredness... I don't think that really happens until tomorrow or the 3rd day, great.
I think if tomorrow goes well, I will hopefully continue this through Monday instead of the original 3 day fast we had set out to do. Aaron, I'm guessing will not partake in that. Sunday dinner is already calling his name and it's only Thursday!
*Lu
No comments:
Post a Comment