Tuesday, July 19, 2011

remember to smile...

My bridal shower has come and gone. Thank you sooooo much to EVERYONE who had any part in it! It was beautiful and I was so impressed with the way it came together. Great food, great gifts, great people! :) Here's a quick peek at some of the festivities:


Aunt Lynne, Aunt Vicki, Aunt Connie, Me, Mom, Nikki and Aunt Dian.


Nikki, Cara, Ellie and TiTi. How can you not love those faces?


Nikki, Katelyn, Me and my brother, Aaron. Ellie and Emerson are also making an appearance!


Nikki, Mom & I


Booba's Handkerchief. Let the tears begin!


Mamie's Rosary.


The beautiful, hand-made centerpiece flowers.


Hannah, Barb, Ava, Libby, Nicole, Lilly, Me, Addie, Bethanie, Derek, Erika and Ms. Jaycie. Too bad I didn't break a ribbon!! I want a lil' one too!

The whole even was beautiful and so thoughtful. Thanks again.



Later that evening, my sister called with the news that PaPa {my mom's dad, currently in Hospice} had taken a turn for the worse. Aaron and I rushed up there to see him. He was asleep and peaceful. My aunts were by his side. We spent a few hours up there just sitting and chatting with PaPa and each other. I brought along Mamie's rosary and mom wrapped it around his hand. My aunt had told me that just days before, he was talking about how he wanted to make it to our wedding and he would do anything to get there. She said he was really excited about the whole thing.

When the nurses came in to change his linens he opened his eye and tried to speak. We all sat there and spoke with him trying to make out just what he was saying. We asked if he was in pain, he responded with a clear no.

Aaron and I went in to say our goodbyes and I leaned down to tell him that we were so excited to have him at our wedding if he could still make it and that I loved him so much. When I pulled away he whispered I love you back to me. I teared up and put my ear to his mouth to hear him better when he puckered his lips and made a kissing noise. I lowered my cheek and he kissed me! All of the other family members came over to also get a kiss from him, I could see in his eye that he was so confused and scared. It was so hard to see him like that. He has been ready to go see Mamie for a long time now, he deserves to leave peacefully. We went to visit him last night and he was sleeping for most of the time. He opened his eye for a bit but was not as vocal as the night before. They have removed his oxygen tube from his nose and the nurses have since said it probably won't be long.

He has lived through multiple heart attacks, losing his eye while fighting in a World War, open heart surgery, losing his wife, cancer, and raising FIVE daughters {the man is like the energizer bunny!}. I want PaPa to do like he's always done and pull through.



*Lu {or as PaPa calls me, Wynzey}
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment