This morning we had our 20wk anatomy scan and gender u/s! I was thrilled to know what we are having but even more relieved to have all good news on the developmental side. All looked perfect.
My morning started with me chuggin a bottle of water and a glass of OJ on the way to the doctor. I always heard a full bladder helps with a better scan and the OJ would give your baby a little jolt to get them moving. I found out that was not the case. The tech made me pee for a urine test and said empty is better.
Aaron & I made our final, offiicial predictions sitting in the waiting room - me: boy, Aaron: girl. I'm not going to tell you who was right... where is the fun in that?! The tech started with a transvaginal u/s, these are becoming 2nd nature to me. Before she could proceed, she made me go pee again... I was still too full. I shuffled to the bathroom wearing nothing but a sheet wrapped around my ass. Good thing my shame went out the window years ago... I was also shoeless - in a public bathroom. See, no shame! Anyway, she measured my cervix and checked my placenta to see that all signs of the previa were gone. Both looked great! I have a long cervix, which is desirable when trying to avoid preterm labor and my placenta has receded nicely. Translation - we can resume the activity that got us into this predicament in the first place...
The belly u/s started with her asking 'do you guys intend to find out te sex?' I explained that I was willing to wait until birth but Mr. C. was adamant about finding out... I know it was a little stretch of the truth but it makes me feel less like a failure for giving into my weakness. She started with the scan and within a minute, we knew what our little bundle was. It was perfectly exciting... I didn't cry, I just smiled! Baby C was jumping, flipping and moving all over the screen.
She checked all the major parts and they were all right where they should be and workin' just fine. Aaron's daughters have a condition called Arnold Chiari that involves the spinal cord and can be pretty serious. It's somewhat genetic so there was always that worry that our baby would inherit that condition - luckily the tech was able to assure us with a quick scan of the brain that it was not a factor for them. She checked the lungs, kidneys, umbilical cord and all the extremities... all were perfect .
When it came time for the heart picture we had a little trouble getting a good shot. The baby wasn't cooperating with her and just wouldn't turn as needed. We spent about 15 minutes trying all different positions while she poked and prodded to get them to move....nothing. She set our mind at ease that even though she couldn't get the image she needed, the heart looked great. Thanks to our defiant little one...I will be headed back to the doctor for another u/s in a month so she can get a photo for my records.
We also got the 3D u/s which I've always thought was creepy but she said she would try & make it as uncreepy as possible. I could be biased but this one is PERFECT!!! I am in love!
After all was said and done, she checked the heart beat and it was super strong at 166! We got a printout of our images & were sent on our way to spend the day relishing in our happiness. Unfortunately, that meant Aaron had to go back to work & I had to be alone with all this new information. I stopped at the cemetery & visited with my brother so I could share the news & baby C even left a note for Aaron about how much they wish they could have met him.
My emotions are running high between fear & elation. I am terrified that I will be raising a child but this is, by far, the best experience I have EVER had. I am so excited to be sharing it with Aaron & to know that in 4 short months... we will get to meet our little baby. Odds are they will either be like Aaron or I... so it's a win/win!
*mamaLu
When it came time for the heart picture we had a little trouble getting a good shot. The baby wasn't cooperating with her and just wouldn't turn as needed. We spent about 15 minutes trying all different positions while she poked and prodded to get them to move....nothing. She set our mind at ease that even though she couldn't get the image she needed, the heart looked great. Thanks to our defiant little one...I will be headed back to the doctor for another u/s in a month so she can get a photo for my records.
We also got the 3D u/s which I've always thought was creepy but she said she would try & make it as uncreepy as possible. I could be biased but this one is PERFECT!!! I am in love!
| do they look like daddy or mommy? I am still up in the air. |
| look at that perfect profile. Those lips... ahhhhh! |
After all was said and done, she checked the heart beat and it was super strong at 166! We got a printout of our images & were sent on our way to spend the day relishing in our happiness. Unfortunately, that meant Aaron had to go back to work & I had to be alone with all this new information. I stopped at the cemetery & visited with my brother so I could share the news & baby C even left a note for Aaron about how much they wish they could have met him.
My emotions are running high between fear & elation. I am terrified that I will be raising a child but this is, by far, the best experience I have EVER had. I am so excited to be sharing it with Aaron & to know that in 4 short months... we will get to meet our little baby. Odds are they will either be like Aaron or I... so it's a win/win!
*mamaLu
No comments:
Post a Comment