This is my daily view-I'm nothing if not a multitasker. I can pump boobs, rock a sleeping baby {who cares if it's with my foot} and blog all at the same tme.
First off, I love sleep. Guess what?! That's all gone now. I am running on probably 3 hrs of sleep a night. Coffee has been a savior but only until the afternoon when I hit the wall. I used to be the one in bed at 10 and now it's closer to midnight with a wake up call every few hours. It's torture. I know they say to nap when your baby naps but I have still yet to take a nap since Nathan was born.
Speaking of sleep, newborns sleep a lot during the day. At least mine does. He seems confused on the concept of day & night. The first few days home I was so scared that there was something wrong with him since I literally had to strip him down and change his diaper just to wake him. He was like a mini narcoleptic.
Breastfeeding is hell! I'm pushing this boob on Nathan so often but he really just doesn't want anything to do with it. In the beginning he did OK but the latch was never 100% which meant pain for me & less milk for him. After a consultation where he latched like a pro, I felt confident going home and attempting it ourselves... silly, silly me! Nothing. Our success rate has been very minimal. For now, I'm exclusively pumping which is such a pain in the ass. Too many pump parts to wash every 2 hours.
Only 2 weeks in & we discovered a little of what looked like diaper rash on Nathan's thigh. After a pediatrician appointment we discovered it was actually a Staph infection. Are you serious? A round of antibiotics and things seem to be clearing up nicely. Unfortunately, I think the 2 of us were sharing an undesirable germ & the infection also made it's way to my body. My wrist swelled up with what I thought was a spider bite. After a wasted trip to urgent care I visited my family doc to do a culture on it. Sure enough... Staph. So now Nathan, myself & Benny are all on antibiotics {Benny for unrelated reasons}. This house is crumbling slowly.
Traveling- no matter the distance- is an undertaking. I have to really put thought into what I need. I also have to take into consideration the worst case scenario. What if I break down on the side of the road and we are stranded in the middle of nowhere for 10hrs. I better pack 7 bottles just to be safe. {If he took to the boob, this would be a non-issue}. What if he blows through all 10 of the diapers I have on the 30 minute trip to target? Better pack 10 more {Apparently I didn't take into account that a trip to Target is NEVER only 30 minutes & they do sell diapers there...} To add to the stress of travel, I just found out that our stroller doesn't fit in our trunk. Aw, f***!
His cry really was adorable in the hospital, when I had a staff on call to help. Now the 3am screech is a little disheartening. I can't help but feel helpless when his little lungs sound like they are going to burst. Aaron always said it is 1 of 3 things. He is tired, he needs to eat or he needs his diaper changed. I knew I kept him around for something.
Babies are trying on a relationship. Poor Aaron. I find myself more irritable, if you can believe that. So, sometimes I may make a snide comment or shut down when I should be present. We have talked about it & we both know that lack of sleep and stress can really do a number on us and we swore not to take any comments personally. The truth is, I'm so lucky to have my husband. I have told him numerous times over the past 3 weeks that I have no idea how a single mother would manage. Aaron really is the best father anyone could ask for. He is hands on & his love for Nathan makes me melt.
Breastfeeding is hell! I'm pushing this boob on Nathan so often but he really just doesn't want anything to do with it. In the beginning he did OK but the latch was never 100% which meant pain for me & less milk for him. After a consultation where he latched like a pro, I felt confident going home and attempting it ourselves... silly, silly me! Nothing. Our success rate has been very minimal. For now, I'm exclusively pumping which is such a pain in the ass. Too many pump parts to wash every 2 hours.
Only 2 weeks in & we discovered a little of what looked like diaper rash on Nathan's thigh. After a pediatrician appointment we discovered it was actually a Staph infection. Are you serious? A round of antibiotics and things seem to be clearing up nicely. Unfortunately, I think the 2 of us were sharing an undesirable germ & the infection also made it's way to my body. My wrist swelled up with what I thought was a spider bite. After a wasted trip to urgent care I visited my family doc to do a culture on it. Sure enough... Staph. So now Nathan, myself & Benny are all on antibiotics {Benny for unrelated reasons}. This house is crumbling slowly.
Traveling- no matter the distance- is an undertaking. I have to really put thought into what I need. I also have to take into consideration the worst case scenario. What if I break down on the side of the road and we are stranded in the middle of nowhere for 10hrs. I better pack 7 bottles just to be safe. {If he took to the boob, this would be a non-issue}. What if he blows through all 10 of the diapers I have on the 30 minute trip to target? Better pack 10 more {Apparently I didn't take into account that a trip to Target is NEVER only 30 minutes & they do sell diapers there...} To add to the stress of travel, I just found out that our stroller doesn't fit in our trunk. Aw, f***!
His cry really was adorable in the hospital, when I had a staff on call to help. Now the 3am screech is a little disheartening. I can't help but feel helpless when his little lungs sound like they are going to burst. Aaron always said it is 1 of 3 things. He is tired, he needs to eat or he needs his diaper changed. I knew I kept him around for something.
Babies are trying on a relationship. Poor Aaron. I find myself more irritable, if you can believe that. So, sometimes I may make a snide comment or shut down when I should be present. We have talked about it & we both know that lack of sleep and stress can really do a number on us and we swore not to take any comments personally. The truth is, I'm so lucky to have my husband. I have told him numerous times over the past 3 weeks that I have no idea how a single mother would manage. Aaron really is the best father anyone could ask for. He is hands on & his love for Nathan makes me melt.
*mamaLu

No comments:
Post a Comment