Tuesday, September 20, 2011

then comes marriage...

The big day has come and gone. I have always heard it's a year's worth of stress for a few hours that you don't even get to enjoy. That's not true at all... I had the absolute best night of my life! :) I had great friends and family to share my evening with, food that made me feel like I was at a country picnic, booze that did the job {wink wink} & music that made me laugh and cry!

I had a great circle of support on that day assisting me... or doing as I commanded, BRIDEZILLA! That's a bit of an exaggeration... I think I was pretty mellow for most of the morning. I managed to get my hair done, bouquet picked up, lunch with the girls and then still come home and have time to do some final prep out at the ceremony/reception site. There were things that I had slaved over thinking that it would totally MAKE the wedding... that I forgot! There were things that didn't go according to my mental plan, my blue prints or my verbal vision... oh, well. You win some, you lose some! In the grand scheme of the glorious day, the only one who knew the faults were me.

The week leading up to it was kinda like groundhog's day. It rained, or should I say POURED, every single day for 5 days. Being that the day was planned around the backdrop of our 22 acres {ya know, outside} it kinda put a kink in my plans! When Saturday rolled around though, I have to say... someone was watching over us. The morning was muggy, cool and wet. Getting my "hair did" seemed pointless, I was convinced my day would be soggy. My sister even went out & got us 2 new brown umbrellas, just in case. The rain finally quit around 12 and it was clear blue skies and warm summer breezes, like a fairytale.

I spent my last few hours as a single woman in my bathroom with Barb attempting to do makeup, stop freaking out and of course, drinking wine. It was time, I was ready to put my lovely hand made dress on. When I looked in the mirror, I teared up... it was so real, I was going to be married. I stuffed Booba's antique hankie in my bra and off I went down the stairs to see my soon-to-be husband (we opted to do pics before the wedding to get the party started earlier!)

look at this love!



I was at my front door, the photographer had Aaron strategically placed leaning on a post on my porch... it was time. I stepped out and he looked more handsome then ever. I mean, I dressed him from head to toe, so yeah...I knew he would! I walked to him, hugged him and started sobbing again. We took a few pics alone, then some with the families and before I knew it, it was time for the ceremony.

Brooke, Brittney, Dad & I piled in the van and headed to the altar. I could see everyone. I could hear my carefully arranged music blaring from my ipod dock... classy, right? The girls began to walk, I began to freak out. Then my cue came... Elton John spoke the words 'I sat on the roof & kicked up the moss" and we were off. I would like to say I smiled and made eye contact with the guests but no. I pretty much blacked out, I only saw the altar and Aaron, I couldn't wait to get up to him.

The ceremony in all took about 10 minutes... no joke. We knew that we wanted it straight to the point! None of the old, stale vows just get down to business! Before I knew it, it was done, Dixie Chicks "Cowboy take Me Away" rang from the dock and we were official! A few more pics then onto the reception!

Next, dinner and our first dance. Up until this point the weather was perfect...wait for it. We began our dance while everyone stood around our tent when all of a sudden, downpour! The tent filled up pretty fast with folks. The rain lasted through our dance, the mother/son dance and the father/daughter dance. Best part of rain on a sunny summer day... a RAINBOW! It was such a great starting point for our party, I didn't even care about the rain.

The bonfire began and the s'more bucket came out, it was a big hit! The night continued on with dancing, drinking and catching up with old friends. Once the sun went down, we had our memorial lantern launch. It was an amazing tribute to the special people we had lost in our lives. Not a dry eye in the house... including mine.

Then the crowd died down but not the party! The dancing and drinking continued long into the night. I couldn't have been more thrilled with our wedding and how everything turned out. We have memories that will last a lifetime & hopefully the best photos {coming soon} to refresh my memory when we are old and have no recollection of a damn thing that took place.

The next morning I was a sore, hoarse, cotton-mouthed, stiff-haired, dead-tired mess but I woke up next to my husband... can't get better than that! Cheers to many more years! I mean as of now, we are on 1.5 weeks and I have to admit, it's perfection!

So, onto the next step...
Then comes a baby in the baby carriage.
Practice makes perfect :)

*Lu
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment