
Dudley is my baby, he was the first dog I had as an adult. Aaron and I visited the Humane Society on a whim one day and saw the little booger. He was half the size he is today with an even bigger head and ears. We thought he was adorable, but we just weren't ready for a dog. 3 months later, I convinced Aaron to go to the Humane Society again. How surprised were we when in one of the kennels, huddled in a corner, was Dudley (AKA Samson)? We asked how long he had been there, since we saw him 3 months prior. The employee said someone adopted him but then returned him because they wanted a puppy.
Heartbreaking back story, check. Irresistible good looks, check. That's all we needed. 2 days later, he was a Croskey! He is the sweetest dog ever, with the worst licking problem! He is a free spirit and prefers to be alone when he is outside, just wandering. He still, after 3 yrs, has no intention of coming when called or obeying the simplest commands, sit... stop barking... no licking... and get off the couch. I don't think he ever will!
He's recently made 2 new friends with the neighbors' dogs. He now likes to visit for days at a time. He walks right through their doggy door like he is a part of the family! They feed him, love him, keep him overnight & send him home with goodies! That damn dog!
Benny: noun. A ball of non-stop energy. One track mind, constantly on his ball, baseball, Frisbee, stick or any airborne object. Completely waterproof.

The first time I saw Benny was only a month after we got Dudley. He was wandering on the side of Airport Highway and Crissey Rd. It was pouring rain and he was a muddy mess. Thanks to my sister, who I was on the phone with at the time, I was guilted into stopping to see if he had tags. He was cold and wet and I opened my backseat to get a towel out. As soon as the door opened, he jumped in... guess that settled it.
I spent the next 3 or 4 days calling every shelter, radio station, vet and pet store to let them know of the lost dog. After days of no response, I called Planned Pethood and agreed to foster him. Well the big day came, his first open adoption at PetCo. We walked in with Benny, all smiles! After a few minutes of walking him around and seeing all the poor dogs who needed homes, I just couldn't bear to give him up. We just had to adopt him!
So long story short, the dog that I found I had to pay $150.00 to adopt! He is still "warming up" to Dudley, even though he was the 2nd dog in the house... he needs to learn to share the attention! Benny's a big, burly bruiser. I don't think he could've found a better place to live, there is room to run, people to play fetch with and the best part, a POND. He is sure to get in his morning swim everyday... he's wet more often than he is dry in the summer. Best part, he knows who his momma is and most of the time, he is stuck to my side!
Can't wait to add another baby to the mix someday soon. {preferably human} Yay, more slobber, more whining and more messes. I can't wait... let's hope the mutts feel the same.
*Lu
No comments:
Post a Comment